FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
Q - When after reservation is made, what is next?
- We will make reservation for domestic flight and accommodation in
accordance with an itinerary & services to be provided and will confirm you
within 1 to 3 working days. After confirmation, will send you an invoice and a
35% deposit is required for secure booking. The remaining balance will be due
not later than 7 days before arrival date.
Q - How do I apply my entry visa to Myanmar?
- You need to have a valid passport (validity
6 months minimum) and apply at Myanmar Embassies and
Consulate General offices in many countries- See embassies
address in Myanma Embassies abroad
There are two kinds of tourist visas. Entry Visa tourist EVT
(Package) & EVT (FIT-Foreign Independent Tourist).
- valid three months from the date of Issue and require a
tour confirmation letter from an authorized travel agent of Myanmar.
- valid one month from the date of Issue but require no tour
confirmation letter. Both visas have same status and procedure on arrival at
Yangon airport. Since Oct 1, 2003, all traveler do not need to change with
FECs regardless of Package or FIT visa.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLYING TOURIST VISA
1. Two completed application forms and one completed "Report
of Arrival" form with a photo (approx 1.5" x 2") on each. Application forms can
be requested from any Myanmar Embassies or down-loaded from Embassy web site.
2. An evidence of the trip - copy of air ticket/ itinerary/ letter from the
travel agent (required for Package Traveller only).
3. Send your application along with prepaid Self -Addressed Envelope (FedEx/
USPS-Express Mail/ DHL/ UPS/ Airborne) (Payment arranged through Credit Cards
are not accepted).
4. Passport of at least 6 months validity with available visa pages.
5. Payment of US$20 per applicant for visa fee, payable to the Embassy of
Myanmar in official check, company check or money order only (personal checks
are not accepted).
The Entry Tourist Visa is valid for a stay of exactly 4 weeks (28days).
Visa is valid for THREE MONTHS from the date of issue, which cannot be renewed or refunded.
Q - How about "Visa on arrival or On arrival visa"?
Visa on arrival can be arranged for those who live in a country where
there is no Myanmar Embassy and Consulate General office and for those who are
on travelling. We provide On arrival visa application service for package tours.
Q - On-line visa application is available?
On-line visa application is closed for the time being. Will advise
when it is open again.
Q - Which is the best place to buy Intl air ticket to Myanmar?
The best place to buy International air tickets is at point of start in your
country. Neither agents of Yangon nor agents from other countries be able to
offer you better price than local ticking agencies in your respective countries.
Q - Personalized services can be included?
- Smaller group will have better opportunity for personalize services.
Upon your request, we are happy to arrange the best available options.
Q - What is the minimum group size to operate my tour?
- We operate from minimum one-person travel and above.
Q - What kinds of meal available during my trip?
- Breakfast are always included when we buy a room. Most of
International hotel provide buffet breakfast and small hotel serve continental
such as tea or coffee, toast, butter, jam, juice, fruit and eggs.
There are Sino-Burmese restaurants, typical Burmese, Shan food at Inle lake
area, European, Italian and Indian dishes available during your trip.
Q -Do I have to buy local currency for US$ 300 on arrival?
- From 1 of October 2003, you do not need to buy FECs or any local
currency on arrival regardless of visa type.
Q - How credit cards work out in Myanmar?
- As a result of economy sanctions by the US Gov, all credit cards
(including traveller's checks) - AMERICAN EXPRESS, DINERS, VISA, MASTER - will
not be accepted to settle any monetary transactions from and to Myanmar. Please
be advised that USD cash is accepted widely in all parts of country. We suggest
that you to bring sufficient amount of USD or EURO notes in small and big denominations.
Q - How about GSM or mobile phone connection in Myanmar?
- Myanmar GSM or mobile phone service support network for local users
only and no network traffic for global phone users. Therefore, if you bring your
mobile phone into Myanmar, formally you will have to leave it at custom desk on
arrival until your departure.
Q - Does oversea connection available during my trip?
- You can have international connection by phone, fax, email and
internet from Myanmar. Internet is accessible in Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay.
Normally, we provide contact phone numbers of your hotels and our Yangon office
have 24 hours stand by for any incoming massage for our clients during their
Q - How can I use Internet in Myanmar?
- Internet access is available in Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake
Q - Is emergency medical service available?
- Yes it is. International SOS has had operations in Myanmar since 1987
and opened its first Clinic and Alarm Center in Yangon in August 1995. We
provide full out patient and emergency services for members and visitors in
Myanmar, backed by a professional team of expatriate and national medical
|Myanmar International SOS Limited
|The New World Inya Lake Hotel
|37 Kaba Aye Pagoda Road
|Yangon, Union of Myanmar
||(95) (1) 667 879
||(95) (1) 667 866
||(95) (1) 667 877
||(95) (1) 667 866
Q - How is reward policy for service personal?
- For rewards, we leave it to our guest's to decide what's fair. We do not
demand our client's give tips, but it is a nice gesture considering our guide
and driver will be doing their best for everyone a good holiday. Normally US$ 3
per day for driver and US$ 6 per day for guide but it's entirely up to you.
Q - What is the status of Malaria problem?
- Malaria was wiped out in Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle lake areas
since several decades ago.
The areas in Far East regions near China and Thailand border, north and western
mountain range are considered as Malaria area.
Q - How many entries into Myanmar?
- There are several entries into Myanmar. Flight entry to Yangon city
from Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Kunming, Dhaka, Calcutta, Taipei and Land
route entries from Thailand and China. There is 3 flights in a week from Chaing
Mai (Thailand) to Mandalay (second capital of Myanmar). Border entry
need to get permission if you will fly out from Yangon or go out from other
border entry. If you will enter and return for same entry that is not necessary
to get permission but can visit limited area only from China and Thailand up to
Q - What are useful items of gifts & presents for local
- It would be better to offer things like writing books, pens, pencils
for their children and some simple t-shirts for all ages in remote areas.
Q - Why should I have to take off my shoes and socks in religious compounds?
- It is just a tradition of present local people and all local people
take off their foot wearing in religious compound.
Just to be a sense of clean and purification for those dwell in that place and
not because of Buddha teaching.
It is strong tradition in Buddhist pagodas and temples, but some Buddhist
monasteries allow wearing shoes in monastic compound and some do not.
Q - Do I need to bring drinking water from Home?
- It is not necessary. There are plenty of good standard water bottles
are available everywhere.
Q - What kinds of clothes and gears should I take to Myanmar?
- Depend on time of year and location to be visited that you need
different clothes. See at "
" What to wear.
Q - Nightlife exists in Myanmar yet?
- Most of stalls and shops closed at 9 PM and restaurants closed at 10
PM in Yangon and Mandalay. Therefore, you cannot expect nightlife in Myanmar.
Q - Can I buy modern films and batteries in Myanmar?
- There are latest model of films, batteries, cameras and other
electrical gears are available in Yangon and Mandalay.
Q - Is there any prejudice in foreigners?
- Foreign tourists are most welcome in Myanmar, it is noted by 100% of
our former clients.
Q - How about land route travel in Myanmar?
- Land route travel is one of the high-lights for the one who want to
get true feel of the country in way of life, great opportunity for photography
and painting in quick drawing . Road are not very good, so it is simple way to
concentrate on sceneries.
Q - How is religious toleration and can I do religious services in Myanmar?
- There are many Christian churches, Hindu temples and Islamic mosques around Myanmar.
There is one Jewish Synagogue and Sikh temple in Yangon. See address of
religious services at "
Q-Save to walk at night in Cities
- It will be really save to walk at night in Yangon, Mandalay and Inle
Lake areas because only few case in a year. Bagan should be careful of snakes on
Q - Can I stay at village monastery or private house overnight?
-Formally No but we can arrange with prior permission
from Ministry of hotel and tourism in accord with itinerary, route and
areas to be visited.
Q - What is the best time to visit Myanmar?
-June to September is raining season Myanmar. Raining in Yangon
about 5 days, Mandalay 2 days and Inle lake 3 days in
a week. October to May has no rain and lot of sunshine. So you better to choose
the best time if you have a special interest visit. As a normal tourist raining
does not bother daily sightseeing for entire trip.